Archive for Humberside Mini Club Run by it's members for it's members
 


       Humberside Mini Club Forum Index -> General Chat
v21ash

How to keep a garage dry

Just wondering if anyone has any tricks on how to keep my garage dry over the winter, a friend of mine used to leave a big fruit bowl full of salt in their static caravan over winter coz they recon'd it kept it dry (don't know if it worked or not  Confused  ) does anyone know if it works?

The reason i ask is that were not even in winter yet and all the bear metal on my mini shell has already got flash rust in places  Sad

The garage doesn't leak it's just damp air, i have got a spare air con unit i could install and leave it on permanent dehumidify but i dread to think what that would cost, also my chimney goes into the garage and the garage does get warm when the fires been lit for a while, but again i dread to think what it would cost in coal to keep it lit 24/7. Anymore ideas?
minijo

I think salt does absorbe moisture, failing that you can buy the crystel dehumidifiers (may only be salt in them though) quite cheaply from wilko's. I used to use those in my flat...very damp!
v21ash

There's a thought, are they a bit like a big version of them silica gel bags you get in new shoe's?
chris

v21ash wrote:
There's a thought, are they a bit like a big version of them silica gel bags you get in new shoe's?


yup Very Happy
phil.mcglassup

I've found it difficult to keep my garage dry so whenever I had any bare metal open to the atmosphere I used to give it a good coat of oil or a brush over with some old topcoat paint depending on where the area was. The paint idea is ok, but if it needs to be taken back to metal for respraying etc then it is not such a good idea.

Bare metal seems to go rusty very quickly nowadays,  whether thats because I used cheap panels or the air has got more corrosive  Shocked
v21ash

I have tried oil in the past but found it a pain to get it all off so the new paint wouldn't react, to be honest it's my own fault as i left most of the engine bay bare metal for god knows how many month's when there was no real reason why i couldn't give it a quick coat of etch primer  Embarassed

I think in future (especially through the winter) i'll give everything a dusting of etch if i'm going to leave it for any length of time.

chris wrote:
yup Very Happy


I think a trip to wilko's is in order then, it's worth a try.
phil.mcglassup

I used to remove the oil with thinners -though I don't know if that's the best stuff to use. The panels I've done usually require lots of attention before paint anyway, so  there should be virtually no oil residues remaining. If your garage is an integral part of the house, why not have a radiator fitted? You could then keep the garage warm when you're working on the mini!!!

Finally, I always thought that primer is porous so that it bonds better to the top coat!!!  I have heard of many cases where a primered shell has been left in damp conditions and the owner looks at it again a few months later to find it covered in surface rust. I do believe it is advised to just give the bare metal a coat of topcoat paint which keeps the moisture out. Even a thin coat of a cheap aerosol might do it.
v21ash

phil.mcglassup wrote:
If your garage is an integral part of the house, why not have a radiator fitted? You could then keep the garage warm when you're working on the mini!!!


There's an idea i never thought of  Very Happy  The garage is built on the end of the house and the radiator in the living room is only about 2m from the connecting wall so it would be dead easy to fit one in the garage  Very Happy

phil.mcglassup wrote:
Finally, I always thought that primer is porous so that it bonds better to the top coat!!!  I have heard of many cases where a primered shell has been left in damp conditions and the owner looks at it again a few months later to find it covered in surface rust. I do believe it is advised to just give the bare metal a coat of topcoat paint which keeps the moisture out. Even a thin coat of a cheap aerosol might do it.


Yes your rite, it is porous, something else i never considered  Embarassed i've got loads of tin of top coat i'm never going to use so i'll use that instead  Wink

       Humberside Mini Club Forum Index -> General Chat
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum